It’s August. Summer is over and the kids are all starting to go back to school, but if you live in Texas, you that the heat is here to stay for a while! As a result, the summer desserts are still in high demand. But while you may have eased up on the healthy choices for you and your family during your summer adventures at the pool and lake, it’s time to get back on track. This doesn’t mean that you have to give up your favorite meal of the day though. We have here some amazing healthy desserts that are nutritious, delicious, and as easy as pie to make (actually a whole lot easier because pie is quite difficult to make, that phrase makes no sense).
1. Banana Ice Cream
Literally, all you need are ripe bananas (and a blender and freezer, if you want to get technical). Healthy ice cream! Whoever thought there could be such a thing!
- Ripe bananas (as many as you want)
- Peel and thickly cut the bananas
- Put cut bananas into freezer for 2-3 hours
- Put frozen bananas into blender and pulse until it is the consistency of soft serve
Once you get the recipe down, you can get more creative. Put some peanut butter into the blender or add in some dark chocolate chunks for some crunch. Throw in other fruits for for a sweeter or tarter ice cream. The healthy possibilities are endless on this one.
2. 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cups
These may take a little more effort to create, but they are just as sweet and delicious and much cleaner than the store-bought Reese’s cups. You know exactly what you are putting into these “candy” bars, dark chocolate and peanut butter, making them a much healthier treat for you and your family. And best of all, you can freeze them to enjoy frozen pb cups on these dog days! Check out this amazing peanut butter cup recipe from one of our favorite Dallas bloggers My Whole Food Life!
3. Fruit and Yogurt Popsicles
Popsicles are a go-to in the Texas heat, but why would you grab the sugar and chemical-filled popsicles at the store when you can easily make these simple frozen yogurt bars. All you need are three ingredients and a freezer, and you’re good to go!
- Greek Yogurt: Any flavor that you want! Vanilla will give a milder taste close to vanilla ice cream, but the tartness of plain is also delicious
- Fruit: You can choose any fruit that you want (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc.) or just throw them all together
- Honey or Agave: To give a little bit of natural sweetness
- Blend the fruit together until you reach your desired consistency
- Throw all three ingredients together in a bowl
- Pour into a popsicle mold, or whatever mold you want
- Freeze overnight
4. Acai Bowl
The thick smoothie acai bowls are the new thing in healthy breakfasts and for good reason. Acai berries pack a nutrient punch with antioxidants, amino acids, and fatty acids. Make your very own acai bowl at home and blend in as many fruits, vegetables, nut butters, and granola that you like for a deliciously sweet snack! The main ingredient that you need: acai berry pulp. You can find it at your local healthy grocery store. Click here for some great acai bowl recipes! Or just freestyle it!
Get your dessert fix all day with nature’s own candy! Grab a crisp apple or some juicy strawberries. Freeze grapes for a healthy snack. When you give your body natural sugars, it will stop craving the artificial and added sugar that you find in the processed foods that dominate our grocery stores. Find your favorite locally grown seasonal fruits to munch on!