There are many perks to living in one of the biggest cities in the United States. Houston, Texas provides a menagerie of fun activities that will help keep you healthy and fit all year round. Our Houston bucket list provides some of our favorite things to do in this great city. From parks to food to cultural museums, it is easier than ever to have fun and stay active in Houston!
Groups and Trails
- Hike, bike, walk, sail, camp, etc. Do whatever outdoor activity your heart desires with Bayou City Outdoors.
- Meet new friends, run a little, and enjoy a free beer afterwards with the Brian O’Neill Running Club.
- Explore Houston on a bike with Bayou City Bike Tours.
- Enjoy a variety of free fitness classes at Discovery Green Park.
- Run or walk through downtown Houston along the Buffalo Bayou on Allen Parkway.
- Hermann Park has been named the “Best Place to People Watch” by Houston Press. This 445-acre park offers trails, train rides, a zen Japanese Garden, a golf course, a zoo, a theater, and so much more.
- The large Memorial Park provides a bunch of little trails and playing fields for all of your favorite activities.
- Mason Park may be small, but it makes up for it in its beauty. It attracts many with its Spanish-style clubhouse and its location on the Braes Bayou. There are swimming pools, tennis courts, basketball courts, and baseball and soccer fields.
- Take a step back in time at the Sam Houston Park, the oldest park in the city. Enjoy the museum and the restored 19th century homes.
- There is more than just free fitness classes at Discovery Green Park. Check out the festivals, the film screenings, the ice rink, and more.
- Ruggles Green will satisfy even the pickiest eater with their delicious and health-conscious foods. They have gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegetarian markers already on their menu to make it as easy for you as possible.
- Get your Pho fix at Cafe TH. This vietnamese restaurant prepares the freshest dishes, whether you are a meat lover or a total vegan.
- Head over to Green Seed Vegan when you are craving some of the best raw and vegan foods in Houston. Have a sandwich, a smoothie, a juice, or all of it.
- Doshi House offers the best “coffee and vegetarian goodness” around. Try all of their amazing soups and sandwiches, all while sipping on an incredible cup of coffee.
- For the best vegan, low cholesterol, and no MSG Asian food, check out Pepper Tree. Try out this asian buffet now!
- Swing, batter! Catch a Houston Astros game this summer.
- A Houston Texans fan? Preseason starts in a month!
- Don’t miss the Houston Rockets in action!
- If soccer is your thing, the Houston Dynamo is definitely a team worth watching.
- Inspired by our amazing US Women’s soccer team? Head out to a Houston Dash game for more women’s soccer.
Museums and Gardens
- Explore the Museum of Fine Art Houston, one of the largest museums in the United States.
- Get outside at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens, part of the Museum of Fine Art. Check out the American decorative arts and furnishing house museum that sits on 14 acres of beautiful gardens.
- The Houston Museum of Natural Science features some of the greatest discoveries of mankind.
- If you are looking for an eye-opening experience, spend the day at the Holocaust Museum Houston. Learn all about the Holocaust and the many genocides that have plagued human history.
- Need more gardens in your life? Head out to Memorial Park and walk all over the 155 acres of gardens that is the Houston Arboretum.