There are many ways to do an abdominal crunch, but proper technique will give you the most benefit. Paired with a good diet and other muscle and cardio exercises, the abdominal crunch can help your core strength and display those 6-pack abs you’ve always wanted.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent slightly and comfortably apart.
- Keep your feet rooted to the floor and about as wide as your hips.
- Fold your arms over your chest and tighten your abdominal muscles.
- Raise your head and shoulders gently off of the floor.
- Hold for three breaths and then move back down to your starting position.
- If you feel tension in your abdominal muscles then you’re doing it right.
HOW NOT TO
- Never put your your hands behind your head because it could cause a neck injury.
- Hands behind your head will also hinder your ability to effectively isolate your abdominal muscles.
- Do abdominal crunches like you would any other muscle, 1-3 sets of 8-20 repetitions. Once your form begins to fall apart be sure to stop there.