Philadelphia is beautiful in the summer, and is full of fun activities to stay active and fit. Get out and explore this amazing city. Run along the Schuylkill River or stroll through one of the many world-renowned museums. Check off as many items as you can from our Philadelphia fitness bucket list!
1. Run or bike along Kelly Drive, an 8.45 mile path along the Schuylkill River!
2. Enjoy fresh and quick stir fry, salads, and fruit and honey snacks at honeygrow!
3. Want to get away from all of the cars of the city while you run this summer? Run along the West River Drive over the weekends when the city closes off MLK, Jr. Drive to any car traffic!
4. Be like Rocky and run the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Then head in and explore one of the largest art museums in the United States!
5. Don’t miss out on the Philadelphia Zoo, the first zoo in the United States.
6. Join a Franklin’s Footsteps Walking Tour, and actively learn all about Benjamin Franklin and the founding of our nation.
7. Check out the Liberty Bell, one of the nation’s most iconic symbols of American independence, located in the Independence National Historical Park.
8. Fuel your body with 100% plant-based foods at HipCityVeg! Get clean and healthy meals, smoothies, and desserts that are sure to satisfy your taste buds!
10. See some of the darker sides of Philadelphia’s history with the Grim Philly Twilight Tours! Walk past some of the whipping posts, execution spots and so much more that helped inspire some of America’s horror and ghost stories.
11. Walk through and enjoy the beautiful sights and smells at Bartram’s Gardens, the oldest botanical garden in North America.
12. Rittenhouse Square Park is a great spot in the center of the city to enjoy a sunny day this summer! Walk around, read a book, and enjoy all of the shopping and restaurants around.
14. Auguste Rodin fan? Philadelphia’s Rodin Museum boasts the largest collection of Rodin sculptures outside of Paris.
15. Catch a Phillies baseball game this summer and watch the oldest one-name, one-city franchise in professional American sports history.
16. Hang out at Love Park with Robert Indiana’s famous Love sculpture.
17. Get some free yoga in every day of the week this summer at the Race Street Pier. Just bring yourself and a mat!
18. Challenge yourself with Stand Up Paddleboard Yoga at Spruce Street Harbor Park.
19. Summer is a time for the pool, friends, and hot dogs! Head over to Underdogs for delicious and fresh hot dogs.
20. Catch a free movie every Thursday night at Penn’s Landing with Screenings Under the Stars. The series will begin in July.
21. Walk into Independence Hall and take a trip back in American history. Stand in the very rooms where both the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution were adopted.
22. Sign up with Philadelphia City Rowing and row along Boathouse Row.
23. Explore the fascinating and sometimes haunting history of medical science at the Mutter Museum of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia.
24. The Schuylkill River is the perfect destination for the most active of people! You can run, hike, mountain bike, fish, canoe, horseback ride, and more along the river and trails. Trust me, you won’t get bored!
25. Don’t miss the Philadelphia Eagles in action, starting this August.
26. Spin your way to a great body at Body Cycle Spinning Studio.
27. Become a member of the Penn Tennis Center, and play on the beautiful university outdoor and indoor courts.
28. One of the five original squares of Philadelphia, Franklin Square offers open space centered around a beautiful fountain. Enjoy mini golf and a carousel with the family. Make sure to check out what fun events this park will be hosting this summer!
29. Walk around, shop, and eat at The Shops at Liberty Place.
30. While not the healthiest, indulge once in a while with an Italian ice at Rita’s, a Philly staple.
31. See some of the coolest and most unique mosaic art at Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens.
32. Get a workout in while taking in the sights of the city with some Philadelphia Running Tours.
33. Check out the Academy of Natural Science of Drexel University, the oldest natural science research institution and museum in America.
34. Take a day trip to Hersheypark, the chocolate-themed amusement park located in Hershey, PA. Enjoy rollercoasters, rides, and shows!
35. Head out to Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom if you are looking for some of the tallest and longest rollercoasters in America. Stay cooled off as well with the water park right next door!
36. Dance the summer away with Philly Dance Fitness. Take ballet, zumba, hip-hop, and more!
37. Run in the 35th Annual Revolutionary Run this Fourth of July. But hurry, online registration closes tomorrow!
38. Don’t miss the summer exhibits at the the Franklin Institute, one of the best science museums in the country.
39. Celebrate America by participating in the Wawa Welcome America! Festival happening all of this week leading up to the Fourth of July.
40. Roller skate outside with family and friends at the BlueCross River Rink.