Have a happy and healthy Fourth of July this year! Here are a few tips and tricks that will help you enjoy the celebration, especially the food, without any regrets!
- Limit yourself to one plate of food at the barbecue, one hotdog or burger and one helping of potato salad, coleslaw, or pasta salad. Stop yourself before forcing room for seconds.
- Throughout the day, fill your plate with fruit and veggies. If you are like me, you find yourself just wanting to constantly chew on food all throughout the day. An easy way to satisfy this craving is to stock up on the fruits and veggies rather than the chips and cookies. You will get the crunch you want but with the benefits of nutrients and much fewer calories.
- Drink a big glass of water in the morning and carry around a water bottle throughout the day. This will keep you hydrated and feeling fuller all day, making you more inclined to avoid snacking.
- Eyeing the dessert table? Don’t deprive yourself, eat a cookie or a brownie or whatever is catching your eye. The key is to not eat 2 or 3 or 5 or 10 of them. Instead, move away from the dessert table and opt for yogurt and fruit the rest of the day to take care of that sweet tooth.
- When it comes to drinks, pick your poison and limit yourself to a certain amount of cups of it. Remember your water bottle, and make sure to drink it alongside your drink of choice throughout the day.